Musk Ox Hike | Kangerlussuaq | West Greenland
Come along, off the beaten track, into the vast Greenlandic wilderness, and experience to get close to one of Greenland's great mammals - the musk ox.
The tour starts from the boutique "By Heart", that you will find around 200 meters from Kangerlussuaq Airport. From here we will drive out of town, to the end of a dirt road that reaches 300 meters above sea level. This is where we will stop and get out, you will straight away be able to enjoy the splendid view to the river Qinnguata Kuussua and the Greenlandic Ice Cap.
From this point the guide will decide which route is best to take, depending on the weather conditions of the day. When hiking we will follow tracks made from other hikers, animals and we might also hike off the tracks, to get the best views. The guide, which knows the area very well, will all the time be on the lookout for wildlife. This terrain is the home to the musk ox, so there are great chances of seeing these big creatures.
On the way we will find a place to sit down and cook a good meal with local ingredients and enjoy it with the view of the mountains.
The tour can take between 4-7 hours, so if you have a long transit in Kangerlussuaq Airport, this is a great activity!Reserve your place by selecting your preferred date and clicking on Book Now.
- Experienced guide
- Transportation from Kangerlussuaq
- One meal
What to bring
- Warm winter wear. Ideally, you should dress in layers: at least one thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), and insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket). The outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate.
- Warm hat, thick windproof gloves, buff or scarf
- Insulated winter boots
- Sunglasses and sunscreen - snow is very bright and even the winter sun can cause sunburn
- Camera with extra batteries (the cold drains the batteries faster)
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Meeting time is so that it coincides with the arrival of the plane from Copenhagen
- 3 participants are required for the tour to run. If we have not reached 3 participants on the day, we will cancel the tour and refund your money.
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.
On requestFully Booked!
Greenland Icecap expedition | Point 660 | KangerlussuaqFrom 2 300 DKK
Point 660 Greenland Ice sheet tour | KangerlussuaqFrom 850 DKK
Full day adventure on Greenland Ice sheet | Kangerlussuaq | West GreenlandFrom 1 195 DKK
On requestFully Booked!
The Great Russell Glacier | KangerlussuaqFrom 1 500 DKK