Northern Lights Tour | 3-Day Vacation Package | Nuuk | Greenland
Experience the magical Northern Lights with this 3-day vacation package to Greenland’s capital, Nuuk. On this tour, you will explore the northernmost capital city in the world and have front-row seats to one of the most impressive spectacles in the Arctic.
Greenland is one of the best destinations in the world for witnessing the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis). Its small population means limited light pollution and very dark skies - perfect conditions for experiencing the full glory of the colourful lights shimmering and dancing across the heavens.
With this package, you will have 2 nights to enjoy one of the top highlights of the Arctic winter.
As darkness falls, you will head out with a local guide to experience the world's best light show from different vantage points near the city. If you think the images on Instagram are amazing, just wait until you experience it for yourself!
Then, during the day, explore the many cultural and natural highlights of Nuuk by taking a boat trip in the world's second-largest fjord system, going snowshoeing in the backcountry, trying Greenlandic food, or learning about the history of this remote corner of the Earth.Click on the Itinerary tab to read more information about each day of the tour. Away from the light pollution of the city, Winter’s Arctic light-show is at its most spectacular, so book your front-row seat by selecting your date of travel and clicking Book Now.
Your tour departs from Reykjavik Domestic Airport in Iceland. Make sure you look out the window as your flight path takes you all the way across the massive Greenland Icesheet!
Upon arrival in Nuuk, you will be met at the airport by a local driver and transported to your accommodation in the center of the city. The rest of the afternoon is yours to explore as you would like. Relax and wander around Greenland's small but vibrant capital sipping coffee in one of the many cafes, join an optional city walk to learn more about the history of the town, or engage in one of the many other activities Nuuk has to offer. The choice is yours.
In the evening, your driver will pick you up from your accommodation for a 2-hour guided Northern Lights experience. You will stop at several different locations for unobstructed panoramic views in all directions and, once you've found the perfect spot, enjoy hot chocolate and biscuits as you watch the amazing display. Your guide will also chat about Nuuk itself and life in the Arctic, and feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Today, you have a full day to explore Nuuk in whichever way interests you most.
Book an optional day tour that allows you to explore Nuuk Fjord (the second-largest in the world) and its abandoned settlements, take a scenic helicopter flight, go on a snowshoe hike in the backcountry around the capital, or simply chill out and explore the city itself. Search for "Tours in Nuuk" by clicking on the magnifying glass icon you will find at the top right of your screen to bring up all the options.
For an evening tour, add an optional northern lights tour, in the booking process.
1) Joining a Northern Lights Boat Tour for the unusual experience of witnessing the Northern Lights from the water. This tour takes you out into the Nuuk Fjord in a closed boat, allowing you to enjoy the Aurora Borealis from the comfort of the heated cabin and from out on the deck.
2) Joining a Northern Lights Photo Tour to learn how to capture great photographs of the Aurora Borealis. On this tour to dark sites around Nuuk, your professional photographer guide will explain how to capture successful night time photographs and, in particular, those of the Northern Lights.
Unfortunately, all great experiences must come to an end, and today we bid you goodbye.
A local driver will pick you up from your accommodation at a pre-arranged time and transport you to Nuuk airport for your flight back to Iceland.
See you again next year (either Summer or Winter) for a further exploration of the amazing country of Greenland.
- Return flight: Iceland - Greenland - Iceland
- Accommodation | Standard level
- Northern lights tour | 1st night
- Transfer to & from Nuuk Airport
- Airport taxes and fees
- Travel insuranceLunch on flight days
- Optional excursions
- Unexpected expenses as a result of weather conditions (including difficulties or cancellations due to ice or weather conditions) or flight or boat delays Accommodation, transfers and food in Reykjavík or Copenhagen
- Single-room supplement
What to bring
- Warm winter wear. Ideally, you should dress in layers: at least one thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), and insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket). The outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate.
- Warm hat, thick windproof gloves, buff or scarf
- Insulated winter boots
- Sunglasses and sunscreen - snow is very bright and even the winter sun can cause sunburn
- Camera with extra batteries (the cold drains the batteries faster)
- Day pack
- Water bottle
|While there is a very good chance of seeing the northern lights, there are no guarantees. It is a natural occurrence that we have no control over. However, if we do not see any northern lights on the first night, we will try again on the second night at no extra charge. BAD WEATHER In the case of bad weather, the scheduled activities may be altered or canceled. If this happens, we will assist you in rescheduling the included tour and if possible, any of the optional tours you may have purchased. SINGLE TRAVELERS It is mandatory to select the single room supplement if you are a solo traveler. If the booking is made for 1 person and the single supplement has not been selected, you will be charged the single supplement after the booking has been made. FLIGHTS IN THE ARCTIC As airline prices and airport fees can change without notice, a small flight supplement may be charged after booking should this occur.|
15 500 DKK