Open Boat Glacier Expedition | Nuuk Icefjord
Is it your dream to sail among icebergs? Travel the full length of one of the world’s largest fjord systems to marvel at the Narsap Sermia glacier on this full-day adventure into the Nuuk Icefjord.
Leaving the harbour, your journey begins by sailing almost all the way around the city of Nuuk. The colourful buildings soon give way to the impressive Sermitsiaq mountain as you make your way along one of the longest waterways in Greenland. Sit back in the open boat, relax, and feel the cool arctic air surround you as you glide past the innumerable mountains that separate the different arms of the fjord.
As you get closer to the end of the fjord, you will start to sail past icebergs of all different sizes. This is where they are born - cast adrift by the melting glacier face to make their way along the currents and tides towards Nuuk.
Your captain will bring you as close to the glacier as possible while still ensuring your safety, and from there you will bear witness to the world’s second-largest icefjeld. Enjoy a cup of tea or coffee while you watch and listen to the silence in a truly remote setting.
Cross another item off your bucket list by selecting your preferred date for this Nuuk Icefjord expedition above, and click on Book Now.
- Open boat trip to Nuuk icefjord
- Duration: 5,5 hours by boat
- Local Crew
- Survival/Floating Suit
- Life Jacket
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf, gloves
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (in case of mosquitoes)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Food & Snacks
- Binoculars for spotting whales
- This tour is in an open boat with no cabin. Make sure you dress more warmly than you would normally, as you will be exposed to the elements for the whole trip and you will have the wind chill from the motion of the boat.
- The departure time for this tour is flexible. However, if your booking does not meet the minimum number of passengers required for the tour to run, we may need to move your chosen departure time to match you up with the next possible tour. In this case, we will contact you by email to verify that the change is OK.
- The minimum requirement is 3 passengers.
- The tour operator claims the right to cancel tours due to bad weather, technical problems or sickness.
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.
There are no reviews yet.