Point 660 Greenland Ice sheet tour | Kangerlussuaq
Walk on the world’s second-largest Ice Sheet in this unforgettable excursion to Point 660 near Kangerlussuaq.
It is a ~1.5 hour drive from Kangerlussuaq to the Greenland Ice Sheet along a road originally built by Volkswagen so they could test their cars on the ice. While those days are long gone, we will take advantage of this infrastructure and travel along the beautiful valley of Sandflugtsdal with its turquoise glacial river and rolling arctic tundra towards our destination.
Along the way, we will talk about the history and features of the area around Kangerlussuaq, and keep a sharp eye out for the Musk Ox, reindeer, arctic hare and arctic foxes that are frequently found along this route.
Once we arrive at Point 660, we will hike up onto the Ice Sheet following a path that has been prepared through the glacial moraine. The width of this track shows you how much the ice has retreated in the years since the road was built, and unfortunately, it is growing wider with each passing year.
On the Icecap itself, we have breathtaking views of this enormous sheet of ice that stretches as far as the eye can see. You will have plenty of time to wander around (carefully), explore, and take pictures before we return to Kangerlussuaq via the same route.
Reserve your place and experience this alien, icy landscape by selecting your date of travel and clicking on Book Now.
- Transportation to and from Point 660
- Experienced guide
- Hot drinks
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Optional: Hiking poles may help you on the hike up the moraine and while on the ice
- A minimum of 4 people is required for the tour to run. If we have less than this, we will put you with others who book on the same day.
- Be aware that the glacial moraine and the surface of the ice can be slippery and uneven. While this is not usually an issue for most people, if you have any concerns, perhaps bring hiking poles and spikes for your shoes.
- The tour is 5 hours long. It is a good idea to bring your own snacks so you don't get hungry.
- Although this tour is offered all year round, there is limited availability during winter.
Terms of service
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the "Terms & Conditions".
Day TourFlexible departures
Greenland Icecap expedition | Point 660 | KangerlussuaqFrom 1 275 DKK
Point 660 Greenland Ice sheet tour | KangerlussuaqFrom 750 DKK
Full day adventure on Greenland Ice sheet | Kangerlussuaq | West GreenlandFrom 1 095 DKK
Camp on the Greenland ice sheet | Kangerlussuaq | West GreenlandFrom 2 950 DKK