Point 660 Greenland Ice sheet tour | Kangerlussuaq
Walk on the world’s second-largest Ice Sheet in this unforgettable excursion to Point 660 near Kangerlussuaq.
It is a ~1.5 hour drive from Kangerlussuaq to the Greenland Ice Sheet along a road originally built by Volkswagen so they could test their cars on the ice. While those days are long gone, we will take advantage of this infrastructure and travel along the beautiful valley of Sandflugtsdal with its turquoise glacial river and rolling arctic tundra towards our destination.
Along the way, we will talk about the history and features of the area around Kangerlussuaq, and keep a sharp eye out for the Musk Ox, reindeer, arctic hare and arctic foxes that are frequently found along this route.
Once we arrive at Point 660, we will hike up onto the Ice Sheet following a path that has been prepared through the glacial moraine. The width of this track shows you how much the ice has retreated in the years since the road was built, and unfortunately, it is growing wider with each passing year.
On the Icecap itself, we have breathtaking views of this enormous sheet of ice that stretches as far as the eye can see. You will have plenty of time to wander around (carefully), explore, and take pictures before we return to Kangerlussuaq via the same route.
Reserve your place and experience this alien, icy landscape by selecting your date of travel and clicking on Book Now.
- Transportation to and from Point 660
- Experienced guide
- Hot drinks
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Optional: Hiking poles may help you on the hike up the moraine and while on the ice
- A minimum of 4 people is required for the tour to run. If we have less than this, we will put you with others who book on the same day.
- Be aware that the glacial moraine and the surface of the ice can be slippery and uneven. While this is not usually an issue for most people, if you have any concerns, perhaps bring hiking poles and spikes for your shoes.
- The tour is 5 hours long. It is a good idea to bring your own snacks so you don't get hungry.
- Although this tour is offered all year round, there is limited availability during winter.
Day TourFlights included
Kulusuk Classic daytour | East GreenlandFrom 5 500 DKK
Uummannaq Island from the sea | North GreenlandFrom
Day TourFlightseeing with landing
ISUA Glacier Adventure By Helicopter | Ilulissat | Disko BayFrom 3 995 DKK
Musk Ox, Reindeer & Ice Cap Tour | KangerlussuaqFrom 1 350 DKK