Short hiking tour in Nuuk | Backcountry of Nuuk
Tie your hiking boots and join this short backcountry hike, en route we will pass a small waterfall and find amazing views over the Nuuk fjord.
This hike starts from the outskirts of the new part of town, called Qinngorput, which actually translates to “our edge”. From here we’ll start hiking up to Cirkus lake, follow along its edge and then through the beautiful fells all the way to Paradise Valley and then back towards town.
Within the first hour, or so, we will reach a small waterfall where it will be possible to fill your water bottles with some of the cleanest water in the world. During the walk, your guide will tell you a little about the geology, wildlife and the different types of flora we’ll see along the way.
We’ll have the mountain of Ukkusissat on our right side most of the way. Ukkusissat actually means “soapstones” as the mountain has lots of it. Here, local artist hike around looking for small pieces they can bring home and create art of.
If we’re in the right season we might be able to pick some berries, as the area has both crowberries and Arctic blueberries.
Towards the end of the hike, we’ll have a great view of Sermitsiaq and the vast waters of the Nuuk Fjord. We will make our way down to paradise valley, a popular place for camping and in the winter for cross-country skiing, before we finally reach the new prison building. The prison is an architectural work of art, here we will reach tarmac and drive back to the city.
Quassussuaq | Lille Malene
- Greenlandic snack | ammassat (dried fish) | 'skibkiks' (biscuits)
- Tea & coffee
What to bring
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Windproof jacket
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (in case of mosquitoes)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Be hydrated and make sure you have been eating through the day.
- It can be cold and wet. So bring clothes that suit the weather. Use layer on layer technic always works. Wool is better than cotton.
- The terrain is very varied, so you should be used to hiking to go on this tour.
- NOTE: If your booking does not meet the minimum number of passengers required for the tour to run, we may need to move your chosen departure time to match you up with the next possible tour. In this case, we will contact you by email to verify that the change is OK.
- This tour needs a minimum of 2 participants,
1 300 DKK
Paradise Valley & Ice Cap Tour | KangerlussuaqFrom 2 995 DKK
Deep Sea Fishing | NuukFrom 660 DKK
Day Tour1 to 5 passengers included
Boat trip among icebergs, searching for narwhal | QaanaaqFrom 2 600 DKK
Robinson River Fishing & Camping | Kangerlussuaq | West GreenlandFrom 3 325 DKK