Snowshoe Winter Hike | Sisimiut
Test your skills with snowshoes and go discover the beautiful backcountry of Sisimiut.
We’ll be hiking along the mountains, going south towards glacier moraines where we can clearly see traces of the glaciers that shaped the terrain as they slowly but steadily moved towards the sea.
We might be lucky in spotting wildlife such as Arctic hares and ptarmigans, but they are well camouflaged so you have to have a keen eye!
The snowshoes help you from sinking into the snow, making the hike much easier than it would have otherwise been.
The ptarmigans figured that out long ago and will actually grow feathers on their feet come winter. These feathers create natural insulation as well as a much bigger foot to spread the pressure over a bigger surface area, keeping them from sinking into the snow.
The guide knows the terrain like the inside of his own pocket and will lead you out to some wonderful viewpoints where you’ll have an opportunity to take amazing winter landscape photos.
Once halfway, the guide will bring out a thermos so you can enjoy a cup of coffee or tea and warm yourself a bit as the guide tells stories about the area.
What to bring
- Warm winter wear. Ideally, you should dress in layers: at least one thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), and insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket). The outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate.
- Warm hat, thick windproof gloves, buff or scarf
- Insulated winter boots
- Sunglasses and sunscreen - snow is very bright and even the winter sun can cause sunburn
- Camera with extra batteries (the cold drains the batteries faster)
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- This tour is dependant on weather, changes to schedule might occur.
5-Days Above The Arctic Circle | Sisimiut | West GreenlandFrom 9 461 DKK
Assaqutaq Trail Transfer | SisimiutFrom 650 DKK
Best of winter in Greenland | 5 Days in Sisimiut, West GreenlandFrom 6 211 DKK
Day TourGroup Pricing
Cod Fishing & Snow Crabs | SisimiutFrom 3 500 DKK