The Abandoned Settlement of Kangeq & The Island Of Hope | Nuuk
Are you interested in the colonial history of Greenland and wanting to see what a small Greenlandic settlement looked like? Join us on this 3-hour excursion to the now abandoned village of Kangeq and the site of the first settlement in Greenland - the Island of Hope.
Starting from the harbour, you will sail for 30-45 minutes in the comfort of our heated, closed boat to arrive in Kangeq. This former whaling village was abandoned in the 1970s as part of the government’s repatriation scheme as they consolidated of the population centers of Greenland. It has barely been touched since, and you can get a good feeling for the harsh living conditions of the early 1900s by exploring the cores of the slowly crumbling buildings.
You will have about an hour to wander around the open-air museum of Kangeq and imagine what life was like, before we set sail for the Island of Hope. This is where the missionary Hans Egede established the first settlement in Greenland, which was later moved to the more protected position that Nuuk currently occupies.
We will sail around this historically important island at the mouth of the Nuuk Fjord before returning to the capital.
For a glimpse of the history of Greenland as told by its colonial settlements, select your date of travel and click Book Now.
- Charter tour, 1-6 people included in price
- English speaking captain
- The tour is on a closed boat with a heated cabin, restroom, and safety equipment
- Life jackets
- Tea & coffee
Please note: departure time can change depending on tide.
- Food/snacks not included
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket and gloves, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Camera and spare batteries
- Drinking water and snacks
- Optional: binoculars
- Although this tour takes place on a closed boat, the best views are from the outer decks. Make sure you bring plenty of warm clothes (even in Summer) so you can enjoy from outside.
- The route is dependent on wind and weather conditions. To ensure the best experience, the scheduled highlights may need to be altered.
- You can order a sandwich in the booking process, or you may bring your own snacks/food.
- This tour has a minimum requirement of 2 passengers. If we do not reach this number of people on the day of your tour, we will cancel the tour and refund the paid price.
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.
10 600 DKK