Ukkusissat Mountain Hike | Nuuk
Would you like to see Nuuk from the best view possible? Then come along and join us on this guided hike to the mountain Ukkusissat, Store Malene. Explore the capitals best view from the top of Store Malene!
You and your fellow explorers will be greeted by your guide in the heart of Nuuk. From here an out of town adventure awaits you! Your hike starts from Qinngorput and takes you 742 meters above sea level. We will follow a dirt road, neighbouring a boisterous river to the spectacular lake Cirkus. Lake circus is circumscribed by a crater of mountains, with luscious mountainsides.
A place so spellbinding and enchanting, that not even your imagination can fathom its beauty. We will hike along the shores of the lake and find our way to the marked path, that will take us up the mountaintop. Enroute the guide will tell everything you need to know about arctic wildlife and herbs, and if you are lucky, you will be able to see one of the foxes residing in the area.
From lake Cirkus, you start your ascend towards Ukkusissat. From here it only goes upwards and the hike is not easily conquered. The mountain is approximately 742 meters high and is a gem, adored by all locals. Ukkusissat means soapstone, and local artist conquers the mountain to find soapstone to carve in.
Once you have conquered the steep mountainside, you will be rewarded with the most astonishing view over Nuuk and the fjords many veins. Nuuk fjord is known for its mythical mountains and blue waters, it is a magical experience to see it from above. On top of the mountain, you will find a field of Cairns, build your own if you’d like. Once you have enjoyed the mesmerizing view of Nuuk, we return to Nuuk the same way we came. We will pass a mountainside, there is covered in snow all year round. Do like the locals, and sledge down the snow!
Tie your hiking boots and bring your fellow explorers! Check the booking availability by pressing ‘Book Now’ above.
Ukkusissat | Store Malene
- English speaking guide
- Coffee & tea
- Greenlandic snacks | ammassat | 'skibkiks'
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (in case of mosquitoes)
- Food & water bottle
- Day pack
- Please dress after the weather conditions, we recommend clothing you easily can move around in, a warm fleece, neckwarmer, and hat.
- Please note, that this tour has a minimum requirement of 2 pax. If the requirement is not attained, the tour will be cancelled.
1 300 DKK