Whales & Ice | Private tour | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
Experience the best of both worlds on this tour combining whale watching with sailing between the huge icebergs in the amazing Ilulissat Icefjord, which since 2004 has been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Sailing with Ilulissat Water Taxi is a nice and easy way to get to some of the top attractions close to Ilulissat city. You book the trip and Water Taxi will pick you up on one of two spots at the harbor - just like a Yellow Cab.
In the summer the beautiful humpback whales travel the big oceans from Haiti and Puerto Rico heading straight to the Disko Bay. They come here to feed on the huge amounts of small fish and krill, they find in the fresh Greenlandic sea. The humpback whales are huge, beautiful mammals that you can see swim peacefully between the waves without making a sound. These giants can be up to 15 meters long and weight 30 tons.
On this tour there are biggest chances for spotting the humpback whales with their iconic tail waving as they dive into the sea. You might also be lucky to see Bowhead whales sometimes.
One thing that however is sure is that you will see the beautiful icebergs, that the area is known for and named after, as Ilulissat in Greenlandic means iceberg.
Reserve your private tour for up to 6 people by selecting your preferred date and clicking Book Now.
UNESCO World Heritage Site
- VIP boat charter (for maximum 6 people)
- Trip in a heated cabin boat
- Experienced local captain
- 3 hours sailing trip
- Coffee and tea
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Snacks / food
- Optional: Binoculars for spotting whales
- The price is for chartering the whole boat and includes 1-6 people. Please select the correct number of people in the booking process (the price won't change). It is important for the captain to know how many people will be joining. For more than 10 people, please contact us.
- It is possible to bring your own food, but save yourself the trouble and order a sandwich or a lunch plate in the booking process
- There may be changes in the timing of the trip due to weather. The decision lies with the captain. If the trip is cancelled, there will be a full refund.
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.
1 review for Whales & Ice | Private tour | Ilulissat | Disko Bay
5 450 DKK
Joanna Stingray –
One of the most amazing things I have ever done. It was incredible!!