Boat tour to Apusiaajik Glacier & Kuummiit Settlement | East Greenland
Embark on this beautiful sailing tour to the incredible Apusiaajik glacier and Kuummiit settlement. An experience of a lifetime Arctic wonders of fjord landscapes, potential calving glaciers and wildlife.
Your tour starts from the harbour in Tasiilaq, from where we’ll sail north of Kulusuk to the glacier front of Apusiaajik Glacier, through King Oscars Fjord. Along the way, there are great chances of encountering wildlife and icebergs.
Arriving at the glacier is a magnificent sight, as the glacier brink and moraine steeply rises into the surrounding mountain landscape. We’ll spend time here, listening to sounds of the glacier that might turn into a thundering roar if it suddenly calves.
Next destination of the tour, brings you to the settlement of Kuummiit. In Kuumiit we’ll get off the boat, and onto land, so you can it explore it on your own. Kuummiit translates to “the people from the river”. The settlement only has about 300 inhabitants, so you can get a good impression of the village in a short while.
From Kuummiit we’ll continue sailing into a narrow fjord known as Ikaasaluaq. Sailing along this fjord makes you feel tiny with the high mountain peaks on each side with several glaciers creeping down the valleys. We’ll sail close to another part of the Apuseerajik glacier and go ashore to enjoy lunch with the most incredible views. We’ll spend about 2 hours here before it’s time to head back to Tasiilaq.
Whenever we’re sailing it’s a good idea to keep a lookout for the wildlife in the area, you can find seals and several species of whales if we’re lucky.
If this sounds like the tour for you then go ahead and choose the day and book your adventure now!
- Experienced captain
- Warm drinks and light lunch
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf, gloves
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather) Day Pack
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- This tour is on special request.
- Please bring warm, wind- and waterproof outerwear, and warm boots.
- The tour is dependent on weather and ice conditions if conditions are bad we'll try to re-schedule if that's unsuccessful we'll refund you in full.
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.
6 400 DKK