Chasing Northern Lights At Sea | Nuuk
Are you looking to experience the Northern Lights from the darkest possible location near Nuuk? Then head out into the Nuuk Fjord and escape the city lights to witness the full grandeur of the Aurora Borealis from the sea.
Your captain and experienced guide will meet you at "Tidevandstrappen" in the industrial port, and set the course out into the world’s second-largest fjord system. Along the way, you can enjoy the warmth of the cabin as your guide explains a little about Greenlandic culture and the local myths about the Northern Lights.
Then, pull on your layers of clothing, jackets, pants, warm hat, gloves and scarf and venture out onto the decks of the boat for one of the darkest and clearest views of the Northern Lights. Although it is not possible to guarantee a sighting of the Northern Lights (despite what forecasts may say), the crew will do everything they can to ensure you have the best possible chance of witnessing this incredible natural light show.
Gain a different perspective on the Northern Lights by selecting your preferred departure date and clicking Book Now.
- English/Danish speaking guide
- Tea and coffee
- Heated cabin
What to bring
- Warm winter wear. Ideally, you should dress in layers: at least one thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), and insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket). The outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate.
- Warm hat, thick windproof gloves, buff or scarf
- Insulated winter boots
- Sunglasses and sunscreen - snow is very bright and even the winter sun can cause sunburn
- Camera with extra batteries (the cold drains the batteries faster)
- Water bottle
- Please arrive 10 minutes before departure.
- Be aware that the tour needs a minimum of 6 participants to run. If your booking does not meet the minimum number of passengers, we may need to move your chosen departure time to match you up with the next possible tour. In this case, we will contact you by email to verify that the change is OK.