City walk | Uummannaq | North Greenland
Join this all-encompassing city walk of Uummanaq! You will be guided around the hilly streets of Uummannaq, going by the museum, which contains artefacts from the famously discovered Qilakitsoq mummies as well as lots of other historically significant objects. Thereafter you will go to the church, and check out the well preserved, traditionally built, huts made from rock and turf. These type of homes were common up until the '50s and some were even in use until the '80s.
During the walk, your guide will tell stories about how the Inuit used to live as well as life in Uummanaq today.
We will walk amongst the iconic colourful houses, and eventually end up at the highest point in the city, that offers a great overview of the fiord and the tall peaks of the Nuussuaq Peninsula mountains.For a cultural and historical introduction of Uummannaq join this guided city walk, by reserving your preferred departure time and clicking on Book Now.
|• Local Guide
• Museum Ticket
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf, gloves
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (in case of mosquitoes)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle