Dog Sledding Tour | Kangerlussuaq | West Greenland
Experience the pristine Arctic landscape around Kangerlussuaq using one of the oldest and most traditional forms of transportation in the Arctic - the dog sled.
Embrace Greenlandic culture as you are pulled through the tundra by a team of hardy Greenlandic dogs. They have been specially bred for this work over thousands of years by the Inuit, and their enthusiasm to pull, and the special bond that exists between them and their musher (dogsled driver) is plain to see.
On this tour, you will travel primarily across the frozen, flat ice of the fjord. This can be a smoother and more pleasant ride than dogsledding over hilly terrain, and may be more appropriate for those who have some back pain. Your musher will also explain how to control and care for the dogs, and you may even have a chance to drive them yourself!
If you are worried about the cold - don’t be. We will provide you with the preferred outer clothing of most mushers - warm furs and insulated winter boots - and a reindeer skin placed on top of the sledge will provide a further layer of insulation.
Wearing skins and dogsledding is the way of life in Greenland. Experience it for yourself by selecting your date of travel and clicking on Book Now.
- Warm fur clothing
- Warm, insulated boots
- Transfer to and from Kangerlussuaq to the dogsledding
What to bring
- Warm winter wear. Ideally, you should dress in layers: at least one thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), and insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket). The outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate.
- Warm hat, thick windproof gloves, buff or scarf
- Insulated winter boots
- Sunglasses and sunscreen - snow is very bright and even the winter sun can cause sunburn
- Camera with extra batteries (the cold drains the batteries faster)
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- The tour will take a total of 3 hours, including transportation to the departure point and safety briefing. You will be on the dogsled for 2 hours.
- Although you will be given fur outerwear, you must still dress warmly - preferably in layers
- You must follow the safety instructions for dogsledding. In particular, do not hold the sides of the sled but rather the ropes in the middle.
- You should never approach the dogs without the owner's permission.
1 745 DKK
3 Day Glacier Adventure | KangerlussuaqFrom 7 995 DKK
4 hour Dog Sledding Tour | Kangerlussuaq | West GreenlandFrom 2 650 DKK
Camp on the Greenland ice sheet | Kangerlussuaq | West GreenlandFrom 2 950 DKK
Multi-day TourGroup Pricing
Dog sledding expedition | Kangerlussuaq to Sisimiut | West GreenlandFrom 16 975 DKK