Ice fishing | Uummannaq | North Greenland
If you’re an avid fisherman or just looking for a completely unique experience, this is the tour for you!
You will travel with snowmobiles to one of our guides favourite fishing spots. Here you will make a hole in the ice with a Tooq, a traditional tool, which in the hands of hunters looks easy, but make no mistake, it’ll get you warm no matter how cold it is outside. Out here on the vast stretches of sea ice, it is possible to catch Greenlandic Halibut, Redfish and Wolffish. You will need a line that is up to 500 metres long, so it isn’t just a walk in the park. But the thrill of pulling up a fish that can grow up to well over 40 kgs, and a tasty one at that, will leave you excited for days.
It is also traditional in Greenland to celebrate whenever you catch something new for the first time, it is called ‘Pernarneq’, and it is something to be proud of. For your Pernarnaq moment, select your preferred date and click Book Now to reserve your place.
- Tea and Coffee
- Local Guide
- Transportation to and from fishing spot
What to bring
- Warm winter wear. Ideally, you should dress in layers: at least one thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), and insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket). The outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate.
- Warm hat, thick windproof gloves, buff or scarf
- Insulated winter boots
- Sunglasses and sunscreen - snow is very bright and even the winter sun can cause sunburn
- Camera with extra batteries (the cold drains the batteries faster)
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- It is important to dress in layers as you will alternate between being very active and then waiting some time for the fish to bite the hook.
- This tour has a minimum requirement of 2 participants.
1 000 DKK
Multi-day TourWith professional photographer
Arctic Nights Photography Workshop | Uummannaq | North GreenlandFrom 52 900 DKK
City walk | Uummannaq | North GreenlandFrom 300 DKK
Dogsled expedition to settlements | Uummannaq | North GreenlandFrom
Dogsledding – 2 hours | Uummannaq | North GreenlandFrom 1 500 DKK