Ice fishing | Uummannaq | North Greenland
If you’re an avid fisherman or just looking for a completely unique experience, this is the tour for you!
You will travel with snowmobiles to one of our guides favourite fishing spots. Here you will make a hole in the ice with a Tooq, a traditional tool, which in the hands of hunters looks easy, but make no mistake, it’ll get you warm no matter how cold it is outside. Out here on the vast stretches of sea ice, it is possible to catch Greenlandic Halibut, Redfish and Wolffish. You will need a line that is up to 500 metres long, so it isn’t just a walk in the park. But the thrill of pulling up a fish that can grow up to well over 40 kgs, and a tasty one at that, will leave you excited for days.
It is also traditional in Greenland to celebrate whenever you catch something new for the first time, it is called ‘Pernarneq’, and it is something to be proud of. For your Pernarnaq moment, select your preferred date and click Book Now to reserve your place.
- Tea and Coffee
- Local Guide
- Transportation to and from fishing spot
What to bring
- Warm winter wear. Ideally, you should dress in layers: at least one thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), and insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket). The outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate.
- Warm hat, thick windproof gloves, buff or scarf
- Insulated winter boots
- Sunglasses and sunscreen - snow is very bright and even the winter sun can cause sunburn
- Camera with extra batteries (the cold drains the batteries faster)
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- It is important to dress in layers as you will alternate between being very active and then waiting some time for the fish to bite the hook.
- This tour has a minimum requirement of 2 participants.
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.
1 000 DKK
Dogsled expedition to settlements |5 days| Uummannaq | North GreenlandFrom 26 700 DKK
Dogsledding – 2 hours | Uummannaq | North GreenlandFrom 1 500 DKK
Day Tour1 - 6 passengers included
Private Full Day Adventure | Uummannaq | North GreenlandFrom 14 200 DKK
Day Tour1 to 6 passengers included
Private Midnight Sun Tour | Uummannaq | North GreenlandFrom 5 450 DKK