Inuit Hike | Sisimiut | West Greenland
Come along and travel back in time and experience a place, where people have been living for the last 4.000 years.
Sisimiut is Greenlands next biggest city, beautifully located between the ocean and the tall, steep mountains just north of the arctic circle. In the summer you will experience the eternal summer nights, where the sun never sets.
This tour takes you to the little island Sallinnguit, which in English is called The Tele Island, as it is where the modern telecommunications installations are located. This little island has been an attractive place through thousands of years first as the settlement for different Inuit cultures as the Saqqaq culture, Dorset culture and the Thule people and today you find the shrimp-peeling factory of Royal Greenland and also historic residential houses from the early industrialized period in Greenland. Sallinnguit is no longer a separate island, it is now connected to the city with a little bridge, as it has been a central part of the development.
This tour will walk you through the area and its history. You will hear the amazing story about the Inuit way of life before the influence of the Europeans. From there you will further hear about the early days of colonization an the history up until today. You will see the ruins from different periods in time and enjoy the view over ancient hunting grounds and the town, where you see the mixture of historical and modern buildings.
Tie your hiking boots and bring your walking sticks, for this hike searching for vanished ages! Check the booking availability by pressing ''Book Now'' above.
- Local guide
- Transfer in mini-coach
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf, gloves
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Mosquito repellent, Mosquito hat/ net
- Hiking boots or shoes
- Water Bottle
- Dress for walking outside on the chosen day.
5-Days Above The Arctic Circle | Sisimiut | West GreenlandFrom 9 461 DKK
Assaqutaq Trail Transfer | SisimiutFrom 600 DKK
Best of winter in Greenland | 5 Days in Sisimiut, West GreenlandFrom 6 211 DKK
Day TourGroup Pricing
Cod Fishing & Snow Crabs | SisimiutFrom 3 500 DKK