Sarfannguit Settlement Exploration | Sisimiut
Experience the daily life of living in a Greenlandic settlement on this 4-hour daytour departing from Sisimiut. More specifically you will be visiting a living UNESCO site, where the inhabitants carry on fishing and hunting methods that date back more than 4000 years!
You will be visiting Sarfannguit - a small settlement off the west coast of Greenland, that is the home of 96 inhabitants and several sled dogs.
The settlement is located near the Aasivissuit- Nipisat UNESCO World Heritage site. The site has reached recognition due to its ancient history, as an Inuit hunting ground. Today the inhabitants carry on their ancestor's hunting traditions, as they live off the land and sea, where they hunt for seals, caribou, musk ox, or rock ptarmigans, and different species of cold water fish.Due to the settlement's location and the inhabitant's close connection to Aasivissuit-Nipisat, the settlement is known as ‘the living UNESCO site’.
The settlement is located 36 kilometers from Sisimiut and is only accessible by boat. Therefore you will meet us at the harbor and set out to sea. As you will be sailing in an open boat we will pair you with a warm floating suit to keep you warm and safe! Sailing to Sarfannguit takes you out on the outer coast and into Amerloq Fjord - absorb the fresh air and take in the breathtaking views of the fjord landscape.
After 1 1/2 hours of sailing, you arrive in Sarfannguit where you will have 1 hour to explore on your own. Hit up a local to hear about life in the settlement or visit the award-winning glass-shaped igloo Qaamat and enjoy the view over Ikeertoq fjord. Hereafter you will return to Sisimuit again.
This is the perfect tour for you who is looking to experience Greenland in all its nuances, as you will be exploring a small settlement in the grand wilderness. To book your settlement experience, choose your travel date and press Book Now.
UNESCO World Heritage Site
- 4 hours sailing trip with an open boat
- Settlement visit at the UNESCO World Heritage site
- Warm outerwear
- Life jacket
- Coffee & Tea
- Small group (max 4 people)
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf, gloves
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather) Day Pack
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- This is an open boat, which offers excellent 360 degrees views but can be a bit chilly. The outerwear that we provide will do the most, but it can be a good idea to wear warm shoes and bring gloves and a beanie.
- We have a maximum capacity of 4 passengers.
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.
5 000 DKK