Russell Glacier | Kangerlussuaq | West Greenland
See a real version of the Game of Thrones ice wall on this 4-hour excursion to the Russel Glacier wall! Jon Snow knows nothing of this actual ice wall.
Your tour to the incredible Russell Glacier starts by driving through magnificent desert-like grounds and mountain surroundings.
This is an extraordinary chance to see the massiveness of the Glacier at first hand. The Glacier can get to be as high as 60 meters and sometimes even taller. You will be driven close to the glacier, bringing you up close meanwhile keeping a safe distance.
Around 80% of Greenland is covered by one massive ice sheet, its size is only bested by the Antarctic. This ice sheet produces many protruding glaciers and while you have to sail to most of them, uniquely, you can get to the Russell glacier by car. In the summertime, you might even be so lucky as to see the Glacier calve, in a loud thundering roar, with ice blocks the size of cars crumbling down the front wall. That’s why we’ll keep the distance big enough to not put you in harm's way.
It’s a great opportunity to get some awesome pictures of the Glaciers many features and majestic-ness. Driving to and from the Glacier you might be lucky enough to spot some of the wildlife in the area, such as musk oxen, reindeer, arctic hares, and polar foxes. Get to study some of the arctic flowers and see some of the many different types of birds, as beautiful falcons and eagles amongst many others reside in the area.
Reserve your place by selecting your preferred date and clicking on Book Now.
- Experienced guide
- Warm drink
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots for Summer, insulated boots for Winter)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (Summer: in case of mosquitoes)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
3 Day Glacier Adventure | KangerlussuaqFrom 7 995 DKK
4 hour Dog Sledding Tour | Kangerlussuaq | West GreenlandFrom 2 650 DKK
Camp on the Greenland ice sheet | Kangerlussuaq | West GreenlandFrom 2 950 DKK
Multi-day TourGroup Pricing
Dog sledding expedition | Kangerlussuaq to Sisimiut | West GreenlandFrom 16 975 DKK