Hike and Kayaking | South Greenland
Want to be active whilst exploring the world's biggest Island?
This 8 day tour will take you to amazing spots in the southern Greenland. On this tour you'll be hiking and kayaking through some of the most amazing landscapes. You'll climb to catch the stunning views from the landside. And from the seaside, you'll be paddling through the Icebergs. You'll be followed by a guide so we can assure that you'll be safe and sound during the whole tour.
Not only will you be doing the above things, you'll also see and learn more of the cultural parts of southern Greenland. For instance you'll be seeing some Viking ruin units which the guide, of course, will tell you much more about. You might see seals, birds and the Greenlandic wildlife during the tour. You'll for sure see Icebergs and glaciers which, for me, was pointed out on my bucket list before visiting the world's biggest Island. You'll be sleeping in a tent - and on the right day - also under the northern lights.Click on the Itinerary tab to read more information about each day of the tour, and then reserve your place on thus South Greenland adventure by clicking on Book Now.
Kayaking & SUP
UNESCO World Heritage Site
Your adventurous holiday has begone. Your 8-day adventure starts off with a flight from either Reykjavik Domestic Airport (Iceland) or Copenhagen Airport (Denmark). You'll fly to Narsarsuaq (South Greenland airport). Upon arrival you will be met by your guide. We promise you an English speaking guide whose main interest is this beautiful country: Greenland.
By a zodiac boat we'll take you across the Erik The Reds Fjord (Tunulliarfik) to Qassiarsuk. To a town with 42 citizens. In Qassiarsuk you can do what you prefer. You might prefer having a relaxing afternoon after your travels, or you might wanna attend on a guided tour around the viking ruins of Brattahlid, learning the history of the arrival of Eric the Red from Iceland at this small settlement in year 985.
Dinner and overnight stay at the Leif Eriksson Hostel.
Glaciers, Icebergs and hiking
Rise and shine for your first day in Greenland. The first day where your adventure will start off. We will leave the hostel to cross Erik The Red's fjord once again and visit Flower Valley. The Flower Valley is known for its unspoiled glacial and tundra scenery. Known for its green hills, massive mountains and pure valley. If you think I'm overestimating go watch the videos on youtube. Words cannot describe!
We will take you to see glaciers and to the Greenland Ice Sheet. And you will be climbing and hiking to reach your place for the night. You will be walking in the middle of nowhere - yet in the middle of everything: the pure nature.
For the night you'll be sleeping in tents.
Ice Break sighting
The word of the day: hiking.
Today we will be hiking our way even further through Greenland's southern part. Your tour guide will take you to one of the biggest glaciers. Good to know: a glacier is fallen snow that compresses into ice masses. So to go seeing one of the biggest glaciers in all of Greenland - is quite a big thing. Everyday over 200 thousands tons of ice is streaming down into the sea. Have you always dreamed about seeing snow and ice as wide as the eye can wander? The 3rd day of your adventure will be just for you.
Overnight we'll be sleeping in tents nearby the above-mentioned glaciers.
Let's go to the highest peak in South Greenland - today. Have your camera ready to always remember the views from this place; the highest peak. See if you can spot some humpback whales or glaciers falling into the water. What you definitely will be spotting is icebergs, glaciers, fjords; nature.
After enjoying the incredible views at the highest peak we will, in the afternoon, find our way back to Narsarsuaq. We will leave by a zodiac boat and yet again cross the Eriksfjord.
When arriving in Qassiarsuk we will get you settled at the Leif Eriksson Hostel where you will be sleeping overnight. You can look forward to dinnertime where the hostel will serve up with traditional Greenlandic dishes.
The day is not over just yet. Before the traditional dinner, we will take you off the land ground again. This time to go to Qooroq Ice Fjord. Google this, and I won't need to say more. We'll go Iceberg spotting to hopefully see all different types of icebergs in all the different colors (white, green, turkey). The only thing you will be seeing is the Fjord, Ice, snow and icebergs. The only thing you will be hearing is ice falling off an Iceberg into the Fjord.
From early morning until night, the keyword of the day must be: explore the real Greenland.
Tasiusaq - the Bay of the Icebergs
After a good nights sleep and some fuel we are ready for yet another great day on this great Island.
Put on your hiking boots, because we will start our day off in an active way heading towards the pure nature. We will be trekking and hiking to a Fjord always full of icebergs. After a short trek we'll leave the land ground. You'll select some waterproof clothing and get instruction in how to be kayaking in the water safely. We wanna make sure that you're safe and secure, so you will be thoroughly instructed in the basics of security before making your first tour out on the deep blue water.
After our first day of kayaking we will trek our way back to the Tasiusaq Hostel where we will stay overnight.
Our first (real) day of kayaking. Imagine yourself paddling through ice and among giant icebergs. It will be you, your group, guide and nobody else in the middle of the bay. The only noise there will be, is the noise the nature creates by itself; moving icebergs, ice falling off an Iceberg and your kayak sliding through the water.
You may think: is this a bit risky? This tour has been completed a thousands times and you are always instructed and followed by a guide. Your safety comes first, always.
We will paddle our way towards our lunch stop which either will be on a small Island or on the coast.
So what is better than kayaking in the nature? Having the time to do so. We are in absolutely no rush. Our only goal is to paddle approximately 10 kms to our main destination. Here we will set up a camp on an isthmus and we this is where we will stay overnight in tents.
Kangerlua or Eqalorutsit
The weather will decide what today will bring. We'll either try to pass through the ice to a beautiful nature area which is constantly blocked by ice. The area is called Nuup Kangerlua and is the biggest Fjord in all of Greenland. If we are feeling good and not sore from yesterdays hike, we can also go kayaking to explore the western part of Greenland by paddling among ice and Icebergs.
We'll stay for the night at the Tasiusaq Hostel.
On the last day of this adventure, things will slowly ease on. You'll be hiking back to Qassiarsuk in the morning to get a quick shower before heading across the Eriksfjord to Narsarsuaq airport. While waiting in Narsarsuaq we highly recommend you to visit the Museum of the Blue West One American Base - untouched since the Second World War.
A flight will take you from Narsarsuaq back to either Keflavik airport or Copenhagen Airport.
When sitting, waiting for your flight back home, we really, truly hope and believe that you can say: that was worth every little penny.
- Return flights between Reykjavik Domestic Airport-Narsarsuaq (excl. taxes)
- Or return flights between Copenhagen-Narsarsuaq (excl. taxes) if you book the supplement for Copenhagen departure
- English speaking expedition guide
- Transfers in Greenland according to daily itinerary (between Narsaq and Narsarsuaq)
- Full board (all meals during tour, except lunch on flight days)
- Accommodation according to itinerary (tent and hostel)
- Kayak and equipment rental
- Camping equipment
- RIB boat travel equipment
- Excursion to Qooroq Ice Fjord
- Excursion to Brattahlid Norse Ruins
- Greenlandic Dinner
- Airport taxes and fees
- Travel insurance
- Lunch on flight days
- Optional excursions
- Unexpected expenses as a result of weather conditions (including difficulties or cancellations due to ice or weather conditions) or flight or boat delays
- Accommodation, transfers, and food in Reykjavík or Copenhagen
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf, gloves
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Head net and insect repellent (in case of mosquitoes)
- Camera with extra batteries
- Day pack
- Water bottle
- Prescription medicine (if necessary)
- This is a fairly active trip for which some level of physical fitness is necessary. You should be in the habit of hiking in the countryside regularly.
- We will be kayaking in calm water with very stable double kayaks. No previous kayaking experience is necessary
- From mid-August there is the chance of seeing northern lights.
- The tour will only be confirmed if there are between 4 and 12 participants.
- If traveling alone, you must choose the single room supplement when booking this tour.
- Depending on the availability of flights to Greenland, a flight supplement may apply.
- Trips to Greenland are always subject to weather conditions. Delays and flight cancellations can happen. We therefore strongly recommend that you do not book onward international flights directly after your trip to Greenland. Give yourself at least one extra day to make an international connection. We also recommend purchasing travel insurance that will cover any expenses should your flights be delayed or canceled due to bad weather.
- The airlines that fly to Greenland only allow 20 kg of checked-in baggage. If you go over this limit, there is a fee (often strictly enforced) for the extra weight.
- It is important to bring cash in the form of Danish Krona to Greenland. While credit cards are accepted in larger locations (eg hotels, supermarkets), they may not be accepted elsewhere. Foreign currency is often not accepted.
- There is a 4-hour time difference between Denmark and West Greenland. There is a 3-hour time difference between Iceland and West Greenland in the winter and a 2-hour time difference in the summer.
Terms of service
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the "Terms & Conditions".
16 200 DKK
Vacation PackageFlights included
Biking, hiking & kayaking | South GreenlandFrom 20 200 DKK
Multi-day TourIncluding flights from Iceland
Highlights of South Greenland | 8 DaysFrom 23 100 DKK
Vacation PackageFlights included
Hike and Kayaking | South GreenlandFrom 16 200 DKK
Vacation PackageIncluding flights from Iceland
Hiking Exploration | 8 Days | South GreenlandFrom 15 900 DKK