The Ilulissat Experience | 5 Days | Disko Bay
Enjoy Greenland this summer with this 5-day multiday tour to Ilulissat, Disko Bay. This tour covers some of the most awe-inspiring travel moments that can be experienced in Greenland.
On two guided tours, you will be gazing upon the giant icebergs of Ilulissat Icefjord in the rays of the midnight sun, scouting for whales and hiking to the UNESCO protected valley of Sermermiut with views of Ilulissat Icefjord. It is also possible to add many more great sights and activities to this multiday tour. You can for example book an optional tour to the Eqi Glacier to gaze upon the spectacular glacier brink of three kilometres, or join an optional tour to the settlement of either Oqaatsut or Ilimanaq for Greenlandic culture. Or stay in town to uncover the history of Ilulissat town on a guided city walk.
We will organize your accommodation and take care of showing you the spectacular nature sites of the Disko Bay area. While you are visiting Ilulissat, you will be staying in the comfortable rooms of Hotel Avannaa. Hotel Avannaa is more than a hotel. It is a sanctuary for both locals and foreigners. Leading by tradition the hotel unites locals and foreigners through the hotel's lunches, dinners and other activities. The profit from the hotel is used for welfare in the maritime environment and local community, here especially for children and young people. Therefore, when you book this tour, you help Hotel Seamen’s Home help others.
Click on the Itinerary tab to read more information about each day of the tour, and then reserve your Ilulissat Experience by clicking on Book Now..
UNESCO World Heritage Site
Welcome to Ilulissat, Disko Bay
Your first day. You will set out on your multiday tour to Ilulissat.
Whether you are arriving by flight or boat from overseas or a Greenlandic town, you will meet us for transfer to your accommodation. While driving through town, you will be amazed at how beautiful everything is, from the views of the voyaging icebergs of Ilulissat Icefjord to the mountain landscape behind the city.
Ilulissat is one of the most sought-after towns in Greenland. It is known for its Arctic wonders of Ilulissat Icefjord, Sermermiut Valley and the Disko Bay. We will take you to the heart of the wild and beautiful Greenlandic nature, on the different excursions this itinerary offers.
Once you have settled into your room, you have the rest of the day to explore Ilulissat and its sheer wealth of restaurants and shops. If you are eager to start your exploration (and your arrival time fits) book an optional city walk to get the most of your time.
Exploration of Sermermiut Valley
Today, you will be enjoying the views of Sermermiut Valley.
You will meet your guide at the departure destination in town. From here, the tour continues out of town. You will be hiking on the wooden boardwalk to Sermermiut Valley.
Sermermiut valley is a UNESCO protected archaeological site, known for its ruins of turf huts dating back to the Thule culture, and its spectacular views of Icefjord entering. While conquering the boardwalk, your knowledgeable guide will tell you about the history of the place.
Dinner can be enjoyed at Hotel Avaana.
Sailing among icebergs
You have the day to yourself, and the evening dedicated to Ilulissat Icefjord. Since you are departing for your boat trip among icebergs in the evening, we recommend that you book an optional in-town adventure. For an insight into the history of Greenland’s third largest and a glimpse of Greenlandic culture, our guests take pleasure in joining a guided city walk.
By evening you will be heading out on Ilulissat Icefjord for a boat tour among the icebergs.
With a local captain, you will be navigating around the giant icebergs to admire the spectacular scenery. The scenery of towering icebergs for as long as the eye can see is what you will be gazing upon. Whales and seals are no strangers to these waters, why you should keep an eye out for the playful sea creatures.
The awesomeness of this impressive natural wonder will give you a true understanding of the grandeur of Greenlandic nature.
Sailing to the Eqi glacier or Settlement visit
The day is at your leisure.
If you are fascinated by the wonders of the Arctic, we suggest that you add a tour to the Eqi Glacier. The tour brings you by boat, to the Eqi glacier, which is located in a fjord branch of Disko Bay. On-site, you will be gazing upon the 3-kilometre-long glacier wall, that steeply rises into the surrounding mountain landscape.
It is also possible to visit the settlement of Oqaatsut. The tour to Oqaatsut is authentic. You will travel by boat to the small settlement, where you will be kayaking around icebergs, tasting local cuisine and learn about Inuit culture
Farewell, or see you in Aasiaat, Sisimiut or Nuuk!
Your 5th day in Greenland marks the end of your stay in Ilulissat. We hope you had an amazing summer vacation with us in Ilulissat. If you are looking to stay in Greenland, we suggest that you book a getaway to either Sisimiut, Aasiaat or Nuuk.
We transfer you to the airport and bid you farewell.
- Transfer t/f the airport
- Accommodation in Hotel Avannaa 4 nights/5 days
- If you are a solo traveller, the price includes 4 nights in a single room
- If you are 2 travellers, the price includes 4 nights in a double room
- If you are 3 travellers, the price includes 4 nights in a double room and a single room
- If you are 4 travellers, the price includes 4 nights in two doubles rooms
- If you are 5 travellers, the price includes 4 nights in two double rooms and a single room etc.
- Tour to Sermermiut Valley
- Boat tour to Ilulissat Icefjord
- Transfer to the different tours
- Airport taxes and fees
- Travel insurance
- Optional excursions
- Unexpected expenses as a result of weather conditions (including difficulties or cancellations due to ice or weather conditions) or flight or boat delays
What to bring
- Layered clothing. Ideally, you should pack a thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket), and outer layer of windproof clothing (top and bottom). You may not need all of this on any particular day, but you should have it available. You should always bring a windproof jacket, regardless of the weather.
- Warm hat, gloves, buff or scarf, gloves
- Sturdy shoes (e.g. hiking boots)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen & sun hat (depending on weather)
- Day Pack
- Camera with extra batteries
- Water bottle
- Warm winter wear. Ideally, you should dress in layers: at least one thermal underwear layer (top and bottom), activity layer (e.g. hiking pants and shirt), and insulation layer (e.g. fleece or down jacket). The outer layer must be proper winter gear which typically has lots of insulation and is windproof. Think ski jacket and pants if you come from a warmer climate.
- Warm hat, thick windproof gloves, buff or scarf
- Insulated winter boots
- Sunglasses and sunscreen - snow is very bright and even the winter sun can cause sunburn
- Camera with extra batteries (the cold drains the batteries faster)
- Day pack
- Water bottle
Please note Eqi glacier tour available just from June to middle of September.
Our customers are the foundation of Guide to Greenland so we make great efforts to provide you with the best possible service.
We are located in Greenland and cooperate with everyone involved in the Greenlandic tourism industry. We are therefore perfectly placed to quickly react to changes or new wishes you may have to ensure you have the trip of a lifetime.
The earlier you book your trip, the better the prices will be, and the more likely you will be able to book the tour you want for the dates/times you want.
Package tours can be sold out more than half a year in advance (note that Guide to Greenland does not include international flights in packages, except where indicated from Iceland or Denmark). Day trips may sell out closer to your arrival date, but for popular destinations, certain dates/times can also sell out months in advance. We recommend that you secure all of your experiences by booking them well in advance of your trip.
All cancellations must be made via e-mail.
Although Guide to Greenland is committed to ensuring the best protection and service for our customers in the event of a cancellation, we are obliged to charge cancellation fees. This is in accordance with Greenland travel industry business practices. Details can be found in our general cancellation policy
Note: Due to COVID-19, a temporary cancellation policy applies. You can find it in the footer of the website under the “Terms & Conditions”.
8 900 DKK